You do not need to book for day trips. However, if it is your first trip with the club you should phone the Leader so we can ensure the trip is suitable for you and you are correctly prepared for it.
As a Tramping Club, the tracks/routes we take may be different from those typically used by less experienced walkers. On any trip you may encounter hilly terrain, muddy tracks with tree roots and other obstacles, and un-bridged stream crossings, so please wear suitable clothing and footwear.
Note that a leader may exclude a person from a trip if it is considered they are inadequately equipped or are not considered to have the necessary fitness or ability to complete the trip.
Whilst trips are graded, New Zealand terrain can be challenging, and if you are new to tramping you should develop your fitness with some extended walks before a trip. For example, the 16 km, 5 hr Auckland Coast to Coast walkway (including climbing Mt Eden & One Tree Hill) will help you assess your fitness. Our day trips are normally about this distance/time, but be aware they will be much rougher underfoot.
Day-pack with plastic liner
A waterproof rain jacket with hood is essential for all trips
Fleece or wool jumper, warm hat, gloves
Torch & spare batteries
Lunch & snacks
Water, at least 1 litre
First Aid Kit
Change of clothing and shoes including a plastic bag for your dirty boots and clothes (all to be left in the bus or car)
- Boots or stout shoes
- Shorts or quick dry trousers (not jeans)
- Shirt (wool or polypropylene layers, according to weather)
Basic Day Trip Safety Rules
- As with all outdoor activities there is associated risk. .
- It is your responsibility to ensure you have the correct equipment and are fit and able to undertake the planned trip.
- Go to Adventure Smart to view a 7 minute video . This is a must see video for both beginners and experienced trampers.
- You must advise the leader of any medical condition in case a problem arises during the trip.
- We always stop at track junctions to allow the group to catch up and ensure no one takes a wrong turn.
- Tell someone if you need to stop or leave the track for a toilet stop or any other reason. Leave your pack on the track.
|Easy:||4 - 5 hours tramping||Slower pace, suitable for beginners with reasonable fitness|
|Medium:||5 - 6 hours tramping||Suitable for those with some experience and good fitness|
|Long / Fit:||6 - 7 hours and over||Fast pace, experience and a high level of fitness necessary|
Trips Returning Late
Please refer to our Contacts Page
Additional Day Trip Information
See the Day Trip Programme for details of current Day Trips.
- Departure details are included with each trip. Refer to pickup directions and maps..
- For more information on a trip, contact the stated Trip Leader, or
- Contact Russell Allen (09) 276 8770 OR Andrew Murdoch (021) 489 206 for more information on Sunday Trips.
- Contact Linda Webber (09) 817 5111 for more information on Wednesday Trips.
- Trip Leaders can download a blank Trip List form for private transport trips.
Please Note: Dogs and firearms are not permitted on any club trips.