Auckland Regional Parks Track Information
Here is a link to the official Auckland Council Regional Parks and tracks information, including track closures - Waitakeres, Hunuas, with all other regional parks linked from there - for each park select the Tracks tab to get information on each track in that park
Waitakere Track Closures
The following tracks are to be closed in order to help protect these areas from the spread of kauri dieback disease:
- Cascades: Lower Kauri, Robinson Ridge
- Anawhata: Chateau Mosquito, RGB
- Waiatarua: Walker Kauri, Dreamlands, Taumata
- Piha: Lucy Cranwell
- Karekare: La Trobe (above Taraire Track)
- Huia: Nugget, Bob Gordon, Upper Huia Dam, Huia Dam Rd from Christies Track to the Upper Huia Dam
- Parau: Crusher Pipeline, Nihotupu Ridge, Summit (between N Ridge and Hamilton Tracks), Farley
Auckland Council has these closures taking effect on 1 July 2012.
They will remain in place for one year, after which a review will be carried out and further information published.
Hunuas Track Closures
Auckland Council has defined Kauri Protection zones to protect key areas of Kauri forest within the Hunua Ranges from Kauri Dieback disease. These zones are areas of dense Kauri forest and include tracks where there is a high risk of transfer of the disease onto roots of trackside Kauri.
Kauri protection zones are closed to all public access and will be monitored for both Kauri health and public compliance.
From 1 September 2012, the closure will affect two sections of track:
- Mangatangi Trig Track, from Workman Road up to the Mangatangi Trig.
- Workman Track, from Workman Road up to Mt Workman - alternate route via Mangatangi Dam.
- Tapapakanga Stream Track
- Colonel Sanders Track
The Mangatangi Trig is still accessible via other tracks, and there is a detour in place for the Workman Track via the Mangatangi Dam face.
Download a map showing the track closures (PDF 339KB)
The following additional kauri protection measures are planned
- Rata Ridge - Re route 40m of the track
- Challenge Mountain Bike Track - Re route part of this track
For queries or to check your intended route call the Southern Regional Parks Office 09 366 2044.
DOC closed this area in March 2012 — to remain in force for five years.