The Auckland Tramping Club runs a wide range of activities to suit everyone who enjoys the outdoors - from people new to tramping, to those who are getting back into it after a break, as well as providing challenging trips for experienced trampers.
And if you are into skiing, kayaking, mountain biking, or more casual walking trips, then check out what we have to offer you as well.
Some of the major benefits of belonging to the ATC are :
- We will take you on great trips that are within your capabilities, but which you might not be confident to do without experienced company
- We will take you to a wide range of superb locations, some of which are hard to organise transport for if you are on your own
- You will meet and make friends with people who also have a great love of the outdoors
- ATC membership includes membership of FMC (Federated Mountain Clubs) which provides significant discounts for the DOC annual backcountry hut pass and major outdoor equipment retailers and service providers
.... and many more
- Transport to track ends for most trips is arranged, normally using the club bus, which departs from and returns to accessible city locations
- Longer duration summer South Island trips offer the opportunity to explore some of New Zealand’s most beautiful back country.
- The club owns a full ski / tramping lodge (ATC SnowSports Lodge) on Mt Ruapehu (Top of the Bruce)
- This is the perfect location for skiing, tramping, climbing, or just relaxing in an easily accessible alpine environment
- There are discounted members' rates for staying here, providing for a cheap but very comfortable home away from home at any time of the year.
- The club also owns a more basic tramping hut (Ngaro Te Kotare Hut) just 40 minutes from Auckland City.
- This is a great base for tramping or going bush for a weekend in the Waitakere Ranges,
- Staying overnight here is a great way to prepare yourself for multi day tramping trips
- Annually the club runs a members only Snowcraft Course to provide you with the core skills for having fun safely in an alpine snow environment
- The club has tramping Gear for hire for those items that you might need only infrequently