DOC South Island Flood Recovery Progress
There were major floods in the southern South Island in February 2020 that did a lot of damage to backcountry tracks and huts. Since then projects have been working to return as much as possible back to fully operational again.
The latest news is that the Hollyford Road (as far as its terminus at Humboldt Creek) is now open again. The Hollyford Track is also open, but work is continuing on that over the coming months.
Rerouting of the Dart Track between Sandy and Chinamans Bluff will happen over the next month, then repair work on the Caples Track – both while these tracks remain open. Repair work on the Moraine Creek track has now been completed.
What's Up DOC? - July 2021
The latest newsletter includes :
- Translocating our kokako
- Conservation Week 2021
- Rock Wren hot spots
- New Zealanders and the environment report
- And more...
DOC Director General Lou Sanson Update - September 2021
Or not - last one there is from 2020
From the September edition - website link
- New DG appointed - Penny Nelson
- DOC staff assist with Covid-19 response
- Genesis commits to long term whio conservation
- Predator Free apprentice scheme
- Rangitata River restoration
- Taranaki conservation projects
- Obituaries - Rowley Taylor and Marilynn Webb
- ... and more