The very best Day Walks in and near Auckland !
Here are 5 big reasons to join one of our stunning ATC day walks:
- we’re organised and our hikes run like clockwork (we’ve been doing this for a long time!)
- transport is arranged for weekend hikes – normally in Big Blue, our wonderful Club bus
- our leaders are highly experienced – true outdoor experts
- you’ll go to terrific locations you probably wouldn’t get to otherwise
- our group sizes are ideal – not too big, not too small
Superb Auckland Hikes – Wednesdays and Weekends
We currently run organised Auckland walks every second Wednesday. These are easier hikes, typically 4-5 hours long, timed to miss peak hour traffic. Simply turn up at the start time and place.
Not a member? No problem, you’re more than welcome. If this is your first time out with the Club, just give the leader a courtesy call first.
Weekend day hikes
Climb aboard Big Blue and join us for the very best day hiking near Auckland!
Anywhere within 2 hours drive is fair game for us – the Waikato, Hunuas, Coromandel, Kaimais, Waitaks, and a swag of places North. If there’s a stunning hiking location near Auckland, you can bet we go there – the very best bush tracks, beaches and ridgelines. You’re guaranteed great views, an energetic work out and stimulating company – perfect!
Our weekend day hikes can be either Saturday or Sunday. Plus, every second month we schedule an awesome two day event with camping ground accommodation and a terrific hike each day.
Non-members are always welcome on our Weekend day hikes, but please phone the leader first.
Check out our superb Auckland day walk programme here !
Our Auckland day hike gradings
|Easy:||3 - 5 hours hiking||Slower pace, suitable for beginners with reasonable fitness|
|Medium:||5 - 6 hours hiking||Suitable for those with some experience and good fitness|
|Long / Fit:||6 - 8 hours and over||Fast pace, experience and a high level of fitness necessary|
As a Tramping Club, the tracks/routes we take may be different from those you're accustomed to. On any day walk you may encounter hilly terrain, muddy tracks with tree roots and other obstacles, and un-bridged stream crossings – welcome to tramping in New Zealand ! Yep, this sort of terrain can be challenging – and tiring !
So please wear suitable clothing and footwear – see below.
Wondering if you’re fit enough ?
Have a go at the Auckland Coast to Coast walkway (including climbing Mt Eden & One Tree Hill). At 16 km and around 5 hours this is similar to a typical ATC day hike, so a good pointer for your fitness level.
But remember, our hikes will generally be much rougher underfoot.
Day hike gear
Here’s what you need to bring on any of our ATC day hikes in or near Auckland:
A waterproof rain jacket with hood is essential
Fleece or wool jumper, warm hat, gloves
Torch & spare batteries
Lunch & snacks, water
Toilet paper, etc
First Aid Kit
Change of clothing and shoes including a plastic bag for your dirty boots and clothes (all to be left in the bus or car)
- Boots or stout shoes
- Shorts or quick dry trousers (not jeans)
- Shirt (wool or polypropylene layers, according to weather, not cotton)
Day trips returning late
Yep, it happens - breakdowns, injuries, slower progress than expected.
These days there’s great cellphone coverage but if you need to contact us, don’t hesitate.
See the Club Contacts page here for who to call.
As a Club we take safety seriously, so you’re in good hands. We’ll always have a designated person out front, and a reliable Tail End Charlie out back.
We’ve got two rules everyone needs to know about:
- We always stop at track junctions to allow the group to catch up and make sure no one takes a wrong turn.
- You need to tell someone if you need to stop or leave the track for a toilet stop or any other reason - leave your daypack on the track.
In general though, your safety is your responsibility, so make sure you’ve got the right gear and are fit enough for the walk. And be sure to let the leader know if you have a medical condition – just in case.
Go at your own pace (it’s not a race!), and above all make sure you enjoy your walk.
Day walk details
Click on an entry in the Day Walk Calendar to see details for that walk. It’ll tell you where we’re going, how long the walk is, departure times and more.
For pickup locations, directions and maps, see here.
For any other info, contact the leader.
Note: Dogs and firearms are not permitted on any club trips.
Find your next Auckland day walk now - here !
Not up for an ATC day hike just yet?
- Then check out our latest trip reports here – they’re informative, amusing, illuminating.
- Or how about coming along to one of our social nights? There’ll be a stimulating talk or presentation, cuppa, and chance for a good old chinwag. We’d love to see you. See what's coming up here.
- And make sure to have a gander at our wonderful club mag – the one and only Wanderlust - here.
- Trip Leaders can download a blank Trip List form for private transport trips.