Each month we send a News email to ATC members, including information on future meetings and trips, other items of interest and new trip reports that have been loaded to our website.
December - apologies for not posting the last few months' newsletters as they happened - now updated in case you have a quiet time over the summer break !
Here is our latest newsletter:
November 29th, 2020
ATC Christmas Film Night This Week !
On Wednesday this week we are holding our annual dinner and film night - this is your last chance for you to join us ! Meet at the unique and quirky Kiss Kiss in Balmoral by 5.30pm with the movie following at the spacious and comfortable Capitol Cinema around the corner.
Great food, then a terrific movie – the hilarious Rams starring Sam Neill.
Sadly Roy has passed away recently, following a long struggle with cancer. His funeral service is being held on Thursday 3rd November at Purewa Cemetery 100-102 St Johns Road, St Johns at 11am. Roy was an active tramper and leader for day tramps, He was also a very effective ATC secretary for 4 years between 2011 and 2015. We will miss you Roy.
Multiday Tramp Booking Rules
Because of a surge in multiday tramp attendance since the Covid-19 lockdowns we have introduced a few rules to try to be as fair as we can to everyone who wants to take part.
1. When bookings open, only current paid up ATC members can book for the trip until 3 weeks before the trip start date.
2. If a trip is already booked out, our booking system allows you to register online for the waiting list. So do register - more often than not a few spaces become available up until the time the trip departs. If you are already booked on a tramp or registered for the waiting list and then cannot take part, PLEASE let the Booking Officer know immediately, so that someone else can take your place.
3. And remember that you must first check in with the leader before booking online, to make sure that your preferred selection of trip option is suitable for you, and that the leader still has an allocated space available in that trip
Kaimanawa Forest Park - December 11 - 13
Your last chance for a pre Christmas bash in this superb central North Island location to ensure your summer fitness and gear are up to scratch. Open tops, bush, rivers ... what more could you want ! Easy Medium and Fit parties, so something for all. Website link
This trip is now full - waiting list in operation
There are a number of trip options now advertised for immediately following Christmas, Interim trips during February / March, and a Safari trip for the second half of February. Check these all out, contact the leaders at this website link. Note that the Christmas and Interim trips are all significant multi day trips which expect you to have good fitness and know what to take ... and leave at home.
There is also a tramping / cycling trip scheduled for March / April on the Te Araroa trail from the Rangitata to Wanaka - website link.
A number of these trips are currently full, but if you are interested, do contact the leader to see whether there is a place available, or whether you can be added to a Waiting List.
Kaweka Forest Park - Jan 28-Feb 1
An extended Auckland Anniversary Weekend selection of trip options to suit everyone. Various marvellous tops and valleys loops in this tramping mecca which is relatively infrequently visited by us due to its distance from Auckland. Note that this is a private cars trip as it is happening only a few days before our bus travels to the South Island for February trips. Website link
Motuihe in Summer - Feb 26-28
Time for a well deserved relaxing weekend on pest free Motuihe Island, a short water taxi ride from central Auckland. Two nights’ camping, with a number of walks and a choice of beaches for swimming. Website link
Ngamuwahine Valley, Kaimai Forest Park - Mar 12-14
In this first for the Club we’ll explore the Ngamuwahine valley with its two picturesque waterfalls and derelict hut, on the way up to the main range. Website link
Please welcome new members Sallie Keegan and John Newton.
The latest Wanderlust is already online, and will be posted to printed Wanderlust recipients soon.
All recent Wanderlusts can be accessed from our website from the Wanderlusts page in the News Menu - here is the direct link to that page.
Of especial interest this month's news packed edition includes :
- ATC Film Night Details - December 2 - website link
- Some new NZ made packs for you to try - website link
- A stunning 2021 calendar featuring the Ruahine Whio. The calendar is being sold as a fund raiser for the Ruahine Whio Trust - website link
- Battle for our kokako update and interesting stats - website link
- Provisional ATC Multiday tramps for 2021
- Blast from the Past - May 1937 - Mercer Bay Weekend
- How to get your caffeine fix in the hills - by Martin Woodhead via Uncle Wacko - website link
- Our planned day walks for December, January and February Website link
- Our great collection of South Island summer trips. Website Link.
- Upcoming weekend trips Website link
- Trip reports from Tutamoe / Tangihua, and 3 from the Whanganui Forest Labour weekend expedition
- Our latest trip reports are also on our website Website Link
How about this year relax and enjoy Christmas preparations and the summer break !