What Is Friends of Regional Parks?
FOR Parks is an Incorporated Society formed in 2010. The Society was created in response to the formation of the Auckland Council, and the demise of the Auckland Regional Council that had formerly created and cared for the regional parks network.
It is dedicated to protecting and expanding Auckland's regional parks. It hosts events and activities in regional parks and works with Auckland Council on park improvements.
For more information, see:
Latest news (from their newsletter)
- The FOR Parks AGM is postponed, and Rachel Kelleher's update on regional parks will be rescheduled later
- Auckland Council Guided Te Rau Puriri Regional Park visit on September 9th
- FOR Parks Priorities for the next 5 years
- FOR Parks now on Facebook
FOR Parks objectives
The Society’s objectives are to:
Promote and support the Auckland Regional Parks as places for people, biodiversity and conservation.
- Support other Friends groups, volunteer groups and other organizations associated with the Regional Parks and Specialty Parks.
- Support the use of Regional and Specialty Parks by the diversity of Auckland residents.
- Provide the “regional” perspective and strategic view of an expanding Regional Parks network.
- Be the most fully informed citizens’ group on Auckland’s Regional Park system.
- Promote education and understanding of the values of the Parks to greater Auckland, the media and the wider community.
- Ensure that the potential of the volunteer sector is recognized and engaged.
- Undertake special projects in support of the Parks.
- Raise awareness of any threats to the integrity of the Regional Parks and ensure that the environmental, social, recreation, economic, cultural and heritage benefits are included in long range and operational plans.
- Conduct activities that will promote membership of the Friends (FORParks) and support its objectives.
The Auckland Tramping Club supports FOR Parks and endorses their work on behalf of us all.